If SEO is dead then influencer outreach is its reincarnation. If traditional media is dead, then blogger outreach is the new PR. If word of mouth has gone online, blogger outreach is the megaphone. If you’re a small or medium business that’s never worked with a blogger before, here’s how, and why, it all works. Blogger outreach is at the heart of your content marketing strategy, and content marketing is what search engines and social audiences love. While not all influencers are bloggers, bloggers make up a hefty percentage of the social media influencers working today. So here’s what you need to know about working with bloggers.
Blogger outreach is at the heart of your content marketing strategy, and content marketing is what search engines and social audiences love. While not all influencers are bloggers, bloggers make up a hefty percentage of the social media influencers working today. So here’s what you need to know about working with bloggers.
What is Blogger Outreach?
Blogger outreach is where your brand partners with a blogger to create content around your unique benefits and products. A typical example may be:
- Your retail business needs to promote a specific product to a new market.
- We determine the best approach for a campaign on your budget
- We identify bloggers already talking to that specific audience.
- We work with these bloggers to come up with the perfect way to communicate your brand’s benefits to their readers.
- Bloggers set to work creating engaging content that their audience will want to read (or watch, or listen to, or view)
- Campaign is launched and promoted – typically by social media activity and/or promotions
- Highly targeted customers are presented a “story” about your product and then directed to a place they can purchase. They engage with their audience on your behalf and give honest opinions about your product (credibility is everything in this game)
- Once the campaign is all wrapped up, you get a break down of your exposure, costs and campaign so you can see exactly what happened and where your new customers came from!
What kind of activities does the blogger do?
Most commonly it’s a sponsored post on a well-trafficked and respected blog in your niche. This is usually supported by a social media “shout out” campaign or promotion. Every campaign is different though so a strategist will look at your needs and then create a great campaign around them.
Your other options might include:
- Email blasts
- Photo shoots
- Guest blogging opportunities
- Guest appearances
- Creative campaigns centred on your product
What kinds of activities do social influencers do?
In addition to the activity bloggers do on their own platforms, you can also book social activities with them. A blogger with terrific traffic may not have much in the way of social media followers (although it’s rare) and the most powerful social media influencers may not even have a blog (again, rare, they go together like Milo and ice-cream). So what can social influencers do? Here’s a few of the most popular options:
- Social media competitions
- Shares, regrams, retweets, repins
- Facebook group influence
- Shared Pinterest boards
- Brand repping on Instagram
Not sure what you need? Get a call back from a digital strategist now.
Bottom line – is it good value for SMEs?
Blogger outreach typically focuses on brand awareness as a marketing tool. Your brand will be put out into the social world as “recommended” by a popular or influential blogger. This helps your brand be the leading choice when the customer is ready to buy. Typically hard sell campaigns don’t do as well as they undermine the most important part of word of mouth marketing – authenticity. Your brand also benefits from click-through traffic, social shares and a permanent mention on a trusted website.
Like a traditional media campaign, your campaign value should be determined by CPM or cost per 1000 touches (impressions). A “massive” blogger will get you great exposure but their cost per thousand numbers tend to be high (higher than broadcast media in some cases) but a good mid-sized blogger will have lower CPM – making blogger outreach scalable in a way that traditional media could never be.
Why would I go through a blogging agency?
Before you get a brief into a blogger on your campaign, our blogging agency has already done:
- SEO Audit
- Social Media Audit
- Screened blogger by demographic
- Interviewed the blogger to ensure professionalism and good will
- Trained bloggers in reporting
- Calculated your CPM (to ensure you’re getting excellent value)
- Guaranteed the blogger will deliver on time
The biggest challenge to SMEs using blogger outreach is the time it takes to organise a campaign – it’s time-consuming, let me tell you! If a blogger has amazing traffic but no credibility, your brand is at risk. If a blogger has great social but a poor performing blog, your long-term benefits of the campaign will suffer. If the blogger is “on brand” but can’t report a campaign, you’ll never know if you got great value. If the blogger gets great traffic but does it via “black hat SEO” tactics, you’ll be susceptible to a Google penalty. We get all that sorted in advance so you just have to tell us all about your product – done.
Ready to meet dozens of pre-screened, influential bloggers in your field? Get started now.