Grow Influence – Your Way
At the end of the day, I don’t think there is a right or wrong way to blog. But if you are keen on growing your following so that you can work with brands and earn an income from your blog, you need to grow influence. Sometimes a little audit is needed to ensure your blog is going the direction you want it to go.
I always get great clarification from Darren Rowse’s introduction to the conference, so many of these points have been taken from his keynote. It’s a great idea to keep these questions bookmarked as a way to track your progress and to put some foundation steps in place. It’s the audit every blogger should do if they want to grow their influence.
- Are you filling your cup? This has an effect on the output of your blog. To put it simply, are you investing in yourself to learn more, be inspired more and to stretch your mind more? Some ways on filling your cup is reading other blogs, going to a conference like Problogger, listening to podcasts, laughing at a comedy show or reading a book. Other ways to fill your cup could be physical activities that clear your mind but get your body pumping with endorphins. This brings me to the next question.
- How are you going in all areas of your life? Does an imbalance in any area of your life affect the way you write or manage your blog? Is the state of your health affecting your writing?
- What is the purpose of your blog and does each post relate to your why? Why do you blog? Do you need to refocus?
- How are you using your time? Writing a blog requires dedication and sticking to a routine. A blog can run your life. Do you need to put a schedule in place to ensure your blog is done at certain times of the day? How you spend your time gets you to your destination. Don’t stay stranded at your why.
- Do you say your dreams out loud? If you don’t, you need to start speaking them. Speaking your dreams gives them power and harnesses your motivation to do what needs to be done to make them come true.
- Do you have a visual board? If you don’t, spend time as an individual and as a family to create a vision board of dreams that you want to see fulfilled. It could be to own your own home or go on a family holiday overseas. Whatever it is, cut out pictures relating to the dream and create a visual board so everyone can see.
- Take imperfect action. Don’t wait until the perfect time to start your blog or to act on a new idea. Start now. You will be wishing you had started earlier when you do. Would you prefer the pain of discipline or the pain of regret? Put a schedule together on how you can blog with the lifestyle you have – whether working full time, being a parent or both.
Which question do you need to work on?
If you want to grow influence, reputation and reach into your niche, take stock of the questions posed at Problogger and begin auditing how you blog and how you use social influence. Make a list, make a plan, make it happen.